Saturday, March 16, 2013

Saturday - you cruel bitch.

March 17, 2013
2:30am
Angkor Riviera Hotel
Siem Reap, Cambodia


We set out bright and early today to get our mess sorted.   First and foremost, we need to get visas.  There is a travel agent in town that is highly recommended by the local expats for visa and travel issues, so we track her down and explain the situation.  She takes our info and says to come back at noon for an update.  Perfect.  Thats enough time for coffee and a massage and to find a SIM card for my phone.

Coffee obtained.  Massage follows.  Starting to feel really comfortable being back in this town that we both love.  I finish before Dave does, so I leave him to go find a phone.  Because we're on a busy street, there are Tuk-Tuks (cambodia's taxi) every 5 feet offering their services.  My plan is to walk until I find a proper phone store, so I "No thank you" my way past the waiting drivers.  A block or so in, I pass a waiting driver who calls out for a ride and I start to walk past when it dawns on me that I understood this man's english really well.  So, I turn and ask him if he'd help find me a SIM card for iPhone.  Of course he will (he needs the fare!) and right away i'm taken to a nice, clean phone card store.  They have what I want, and although its expensive by local standards, I buy the SIM card plan that I think I will need.  Card gets loaded in to my phone...and surprise, it doesnt work.  My iPhone is still "locked" and will not take another carriers card.  Of course, because I live in the land of Verizon, I never think about locked/unlocked phones.  If I need a phone, I go to the store and buy one.  Silly American.    Now, with this locked phone, the SIM card is useless.  This store cannot "unlock" my phone, but if I can find someone who does, I can use it here.  Oh, and I have to pay for the card because its already been trimmed to fit my phone.    FML.

I return to my driver and explain my dilemma.  He's going to help me find an unlocking man.  Great, but then I realize that I've left Dave at the massage and i've been gone a really long time and we need to get back to the visa lady and and and.....  UGH.  I will not get overwhelmed by this.  I WILL NOT GET OVERWHELMED BY THIS.    I spill my problems to my hero of a driver and he takes it all in stride.   No worries, he's on my team and will get everything done.

Back down to Pub street.  
Dave gets picked up.
Back to Travel Agent.   She is delightful.  No problem, just to back to airport, and call this number.  A man will come to meet you and take your passports to be fixed.  It will cost XX dollars (which we have to put in an envelope as he can't take money directly) and all will be right in the world.  
Haul ass to the airport and meet "the man".   he takes the passports and leaves me waiting in a lovely air conditioned cafe with a cold coke and free wi-fi!    Dave and Thai (Our driver and new best friend) are not far away, basking in the heat and humidity.  I thought about asking them to join me, but it was just too cool and nice to leave my chair.  Besides, they look like they're having a great time together. Who am I to (leave this paradise) interrupt?

It takes about 30 minutes and "The Man" returns with not so great news.  The Big Boss who stamped our paperwork last night will not change the mistake.  And because everyone is afraid of the Big Boss, no one will stand up to him.  I am urged repeatedly to call the Embassy and make a complaint about this Boss and have the Embassy correct him and the visa issue.     We use Thai's phone to contact the Embassy, but because it is Saturday there is no one answering.    So, we're back to the start with a 30 day visa, no phones and no fucking clue what to do next.  

I say to hell with everything, lets go get lunch.  That will set our emotions and brains back to normal and we can start formulating a new plan.    Thai takes us to our favorite German restaurant and the three of us have a delicious meal and get to know each other better.  Thai was a child when the Khmer Rouge fled Cambodia and he was taken in by missionaries and taught to read and speak English.  He has learned all of the language nuances and jokes just from talking to customers.   He's a smart guy and very easy to talk to.

Lunch finished, and we go to find new phones.  I have decided not to unlock my iPhone and just use the cheapy Nokia phones that are available in all of the shops here.   Two phones with proper cards obtained within just a few minutes.  At least one thing went well today!

With that accomplished, I'm taken back to the hotel (I just want a shower and a swim) and Dave and Thai go to the market to get beers and snacks for our hotel stay.   By the time he gets back to the hotel, I've forgotten about the swim. I just want to lay in this fabulous bed, with this fabulous air conditioning, and clear my head.   I'm just going to close my eyes for FIVE MINUTES.

Fast forward to 2 am.   We're now both wide awake, enjoying beer and snacks and not talking about anything Visa related.   That can be left until Monday to figure out.  

Enjoy St Patricks day, friends.   I'll be at Molly Malone's later if you want to meet up for a beer  :)

1 comment:

Tafari said...

Picking up friends along the way? Sounds like a win.