Saturday, March 16, 2013

and we're off. kinda......


Saturday, March 16
4pm
Angkor Riviera Hotel

Well, we're here.  Finally.  

Left home at 9am on Wednesday morning for a noon flight.  Encountered the first "bump" in the journey approximately 5 minutes after arriving at the airport.    We knew as we were packing we'd have to pay extra for a couple of bags, and planned for it.  With my Delta status I am allowed 2 free bags (up to 70lbs) per person for an international flight.  However, we were holding a Korean Air ticket, which allowed 3 free bags per person, but only 50lbs per bag.  So, instead of being charged for 2 extra bags that I planned on under the Delta rules, we had to pay for four overweight bags instead.  My costs went from the expected $150 to THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!    But, we took it in stride, after all - we're going to be gone for a long time and I really, really needed that easy mac that I fought so hard to fit in to my suitcase.  ;)

So, finally get the luggage sorted, kinda laughed it off.   Get to the gate, enjoy a nice Starbucks knowing that I wont have that opportunity for a while.  Talk about all the fun Cambodian things we want to do when we get settled.

Noon comes and the silly tourists are tucked safely in to their seats, with an open middle seat. Score!
This is a great start to our new life.   Push back from the gate and wait for the plane to be de-iced.

And then....   we wait.

and wait.

Finally the Pilot comes on to say that there was a small accident with the de-icer and there is now a hole on the wing of the plane.  We peek out to see a whole bunch of panicked men taking pictures and pointing at the damage.   After a few more minutes its determined that it will be at least a 2 hour repair, so we will be returned to the gate to disembark and wait.   Some minor rumbling from the "important" passengers that are going to miss their connections and other business-y stuff they are on schedule for.
But no rumblings from us, we are on the journey to a new life. No schedules here!   Just another little bump that we take in stride.



It wasnt long after getting off the plane that we were told instead of a 2 hour delay, we'd be delayed 7 hours while we waited for a new plane.  A little harder to deal with, but still holding our own.  More Starbucks time!   After too much coffee, and too long sitting, I have to admit that I was starting to get just a tad bit crabby.

By the time we finally got seated in the new plane it was 7:30p.  I had every intention of trying to sleep on the plane, but it just never panned out.  We were both awake for most of the 13 hour flight, and it showed.  We had been told before leaving Detroit that there would be an agent meeting us in Seoul to sort out hotel accommodations for the passengers that missed their connecting flights.  Because there is only one Seoul - Siem Reap flight per day, we would have a 20 hour layover in Incheon airport.
The agent arrived and swiftly led her parade of stranded passengers to the transit terminals (about a mile walk, seriously! And a series of escalators and a tram ride) until we finally reached the security checkpoint.  You must go through security again before being set free in the departure terminals.  I'm already dreaming about the nice shower and bed we are going to have as soon as we clear this silly queue.

As I'm dreaming, I am also looking for my passport.  I only have a backpack and a small roller bag with me, but can't locate my travel documents in either.  Just as I'm starting to panic, I notice our agent looking at us while on her radio.  Someone has called to tell her that they've located my travel wallet on the plane.  I'm seriously fighting back tears at this point, knowing that all of my cash and credit cards and basically everything I need in life is in the wallet and in my exhausted state I've carelessly left it sitting on a seat.  

My savior in Korean air blue finally arrives, and amazingly all of my stuff is still intact. We clear that last security point and we're on our way to the hotel!   After what seemed to be a twenty mile hike we finally made it to the Air Garden Hotel.  I have stayed here many times, and although its expensive (you can stay off the airport grounds for much less) its clean and comfortable and familiar.  I'm thrilled to be here instead of dealing with leaving the airport.  Some minor snags on the check in, but finally we are given keys and sent to our room for some much needed sleep.  At this point we'd both been awake for 30+ hours, and neither of us minded that our room had two twin beds instead of a single, larger bed.

Again, once we were comfortable we just laughed about the craziness that had come our way.  After sleep and breakfast and good skype time with our people back home we were back on track.  A new day, a fresh start to this journey.

Had we only known what was to come next .......  (to be continued!)

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am definitely looking forward to following your journey! Glad you made it there safely :)

Unknown said...

Im so glad your blogging about your adventure- I look foward to reading all about it in "Rhonda" humor :) If you need anything back home--let me know--I can start hoarding all the Easy Mac now.

Niki Collis Photography said...

Ohhh so much craziness! But glad you arrived safely :) I am really looking forward to reading all about your journey...and your Easy Mac ;)

Tafari said...

The suspenses... Happy it ended well. At this point anyway. :)