Sunday, June 9, 2013

weekly updates

Sunday, June 9, 2013
Siem Reap.


Busy week with activities within both the Food club and Social club.  Both are made up of expats who, for the most part, are relatively new to Siem Reap.  Great people in both groups, and there's never a lack of things to do.


Last Sunday night the groups joined forces and  went to the European guest house for a pig roast.
It was AMAZING.  Everyone was well fed, and I'm quite sure I'm the only one with a food hangover the next morning.    Somehow I failed to take any pictures (maybe it was to prevent a greasy camera), but if you look the the left on this blog there is a link to the Food and Beverage blog with pictures and commentary from all of our meetups.

Got my point and shoot camera fixed after breaking the screen at the boxing match.  $130 dollars that I really didnt want to spend, but I needed it fixed and it was cheaper to fix it than replace it.  Since living here, and not having a job, I've become very thrifty when it comes to spending, so I spent Monday and Tuesday in a bit of a funk over it.

Friday the Socialites met up for Quiz night, and I'm proud to say that we took first place!  We have a bunch of smarties in the group combined with fierce competitiveness, so Quiz night is a blast.

I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE!



Last night we were invited to the Sombai rice wine company to come for a liquor tasting.   Sombai is the brainchild of Joelle and her partner Lionel, and they have created quite a nice little business.  Sombai is rice wine infused with different flavors.  There are currently 8 flavor combinations available, and although I passed on the actual "sampling", they provided me with small amounts of each to smell and have little baby tastes of.  All were quite delicious.


 the group gets lost on the way to Sombai.

 Sampling bottles.

 and cups.

 Two choices of bottles, these are handpainted by local Cambodian artists. 



 These are the plain label bottles, same sizes but slightly cheaper in cost.


 Zita listens to the information, Dave just drinks.


 Host Lionel, and blurry Sue Kawa.

 Some of my tasters.


Tonight is a farewell to our darling friend Ruby, as she's headed back to London to have her baby girl and recuperate for a couple of months.  I miss her already.  :(


No comments: