Wednesday, April 3, 2013

the new normal

wednesday, april 3 2013
8:30pm
siem reap residences


Today was the big planned "power outage" for the city. I think it had something to do with upgrading power lines from thailand, or some such stuff that I don't understand. All I know is that the power was to be out from 6a-6p.   I woke up about 7:30, and as expected the power was out..but it was still relatively cool in the apartment.  By 9:30 we were back on full power, A/C, internet, everything was working perfectly.  I'm not sure why we thought it was a good idea to leave this heaven and go downtown, but we did.   MISERABLE CHOICE.   The three of us, along with our driver, had lunch, then the boys dropped me off to have a massage while they went shopping.   The massage was fabulous, as usual..but by the end I felt like I was melting.   I couldnt wait to get back home and cool off...  I got back about 3:30, and within the hour the power was out again.   And it didnt come back at 6.  Or 7.   To avoid dying from heat death, everyone in the building walked down to Touich for dinner.  If we have to be uncomfortable, at least it will be with amazing food and drink.   Our landlord called Remy as we were sitting down for dinner to say that the power was back on.  Its amazing how quickly moods change knowing that there is good aircon waiting for us to arrive back home.    Another beautiful dinner and now we're all happy and comfortable again.   Death averted!


The past few days have been really low key.  On Saturday, Remy went with our landlord to Preah Vihear temple and stayed away until last night.  Dave and I have been hanging close to home and getting used to the new surroundings.   My family is all on Skype now, so phone calls back and forth are super easy and dont have to be planned in advance.  We get up in the morning and watch the cows walk down the road to where ever cows go, and in the evenings we watch the cows come back home.
Its so quiet in our little piece of the country that most days I have a hard time leaving the apartment.  Its a good problem to have.


One of these days I'll actually unpack my camera so you can all see how gorgeous it is here.  

-Rhonda
xx

No comments: